Top 10 best places to surf in the world
Surfing is a favourite pastime for millions of people all over the world. It is most common and popular in Western societies, especially in the English-speaking world, but in fact gains followers worldwide. Many people are so addicted to this sport that they travel around the world in search of the perfect wave. If you are one of them, this article can be useful for you.
1. Cape Peninsula / South Africa. South Africa has always been known as a world class surfing hub. It offers year-round excellent surfing conditions but especially attractive is the period between May and October, during the winter season in the Southern Hemisphere.
This place is known for its huge ocean waves, caused by the powerful winter winds. Cape Peninsula is considered to be the hottest spot for lovers of this sport in South Africa, and due to its location, it offers big waves all year round, no matter what the wind direction is.
Local conditions are best during the autumn season (September, October and November), because of the strong influence of winds, called Santa Ana. Southern California‘s perfect surfing conditions are usually combined with sunny and warm weather and temperature over 20°C.
In terms of ocean water, however, do not cherish any false hopes. Water temperatures along the coast of Southern California in autumn is between 15 and 19°C.
3. Nazare / Portugal. When talking about surfing, ironically, we usually do not mention the name of Europe. However, this is absolutely wrong, because here you will find some of the most attractive places to practice this sport in the world. Portugal is without doubt the best surf destinations on the continent.
Under the right weather conditions Nazaré waves are really monstrous. Winter is the most attractive time of year to go surfing there. It is important to note that Nazaré’s conditions are not always suitable for everyone. Sometimes the wave height reaches 20 meters and it is very dangerous even for experienced surfers!
4. Maui / Hawaii. Hawaii is considered the most attractive place in the world to surf and Maui is a classic when it comes to huge ocean waves.
The strong northern winds that reach the islands, especially during the winter months, may cause horrific waves that are sometimes dangerous even according the most experienced surfers.
The north coast of Maui is not recommended for inexperienced surfers, because the danger is not to be underestimated. However, if surfing is routine for you, then the most attractive area is considered to be the town of Paia.
5. Fernando de Noronha / Brazil. Fernando de Noronha is a small island located off the eastern-most point of Brazil. It is well-known as the best place to surf in the country and one of the top surfing destinations throughout Latin America.
Among the advantages are year-round warm sea water, lovely landscape and long waves that under appropriate conditions may exceed hundreds of meters. The best time to surf in Fernando de Noronha is the summer season, approximately between November and March.
6. Fuerteventura / Canary Islands. Fuertaventura is considered one of the most popular surfing destinations in Europe. Autumn and winter are normally the period to offer the largest waves, because the strong wind that blow from the Atlantic almost never stops.
The water is warm – over 18°C, the weather is mild and pleasant, and the waves are medium height. For the most attractive town is considered El Cotillo, located on the northwest coast.
7. Bali / Indonesia. Bali is probably the best place to surf in Asia. The size of the waves in different parts of this beautiful island vary greatly, so here you will find places for both beginners and places that are recommended only for experienced surfers.
Kuta Beach enjoys the greatest glory. The site is located in the southwestern part of the island and is ideal during the period from April to September.
Among the best places to surf in the city are Manly and Bondi Beach. The winter months of the year offer big waves and therefore best surfing conditions.
When the waves are smaller, however, conditions are suitable even for beginners. In fact, if you are not an experienced in this sport, along the coast there are many surf schools to visit.
9. Dunedin / New Zealand. Situated southwest of Australia, New Zealand is known for its windy coasts and big waves. The country attracts many lovers of extreme sports, including thousands of surf fans.
Certainly when we talk about the best surfing destination in the country, we should mention the name of the city of Dunedin, located on the east coast of the South Island. Dunedin offers large waves all year round, but disadvantage is the temperature of sea water that is always relatively low.
10. Gold Coast / Australia. The Land of kangaroo has always been among the most popular places to surf in the world. This is true especially when it comes to Gold Coast.
Not by chance one of the most famous suburbs of the city is called „Surfers Paradise“. Like most other surfing destinations around the globe, the best time to ride the waves in Gold Coast is the winter season, which lasts approximately from April – May to October. An advantage of the Gold Coast is the warm sea water and beautiful beaches that stretch for miles.
Attention! Some places in this article are not suitable for beginners and surfers without experience. Before you travel to any of these places, it is recommended to ensure that the conditions for surfing are consistent with your abilities!