Top 10 largest countries in the world
These are the ten countries with the largest land area in the world. They are located in different parts of the planet, but in economic terms are quite different. Sudan for example is a poor developing country with a very low standard of living. On the other hand The United States is the most developed country. The common between all of them is that whether highly developed or developing countries with lower living standards, most of them are quite influential because of their large territory.
10. Sudan. Sudan is the tenth largest country in the world and the largest country in Africa with an area of 2,505,815 square kilometers. It is located in the north-eastern part of the continent, on the Red Sea coast. Most of Sudan is mainly dry and barren desert.
9. Kazakhstan. The former Soviet republic of Kazakhstan covers an area of 2,717,300 square kilometers in the western parts of Asia. The country borders on the landlocked Caspian Sea. Most of Kazakhstan is occupied by steppes and deserts. However, the large deposits of minerals have turned Kazakhstan into a country with a promising future.
8. Argentina. Argentina covers an area of 2,766,890 square kilometers. It is located in the southeastern part of South America on the Atlantic coast. The country extends between the tropics and the cold inhospitable Tierra del Fuego. Here are some of the most fertile lands in the world. In the early 20th century Argentina ranked among the richest and most influential countries in the world.
7. India. India is the seventh largest country in the world with an area of 3,287,263 square kilometers. It occupies most of Hindustan Peninsula in Asia. It is surrounded by the warm waters of the Indian Ocean, and to the north reaches to the Himalayas. Despite of its huge territory, India is a densely populated country, as it is home to more than 1 billion inhabitants. On the territory of modern India has flourished one of the richest and most exciting cultures of our planet.
The European Union. Although the European Union is not a country, the member states are highly integrated community with common economic and political base. It is one of the most influential organizations in the world. If the EU was a country it would be the seventh largest country in the world after Australia and economically would superior even the U.S. economy. EU covers an area 4,325,675 square kilometers, but continues to expand.
6. Australia. Australia is the sixth largest country in the world with an area of 7,682,300 square kilometers. It is also one of the most sparsely populated on the planet. The average population density is about 2 people per square kilometer. The reason is that the interior is occupied by dry and barren desert. Australia is the only country that occupies the territory of an entire continent.
5. Brazil. With an area of 8,574,404 square kilometers Brazil is the largest country in the Southern Hemisphere and Latin America. It occupies the heart of South America. The most deep-water river on the planet flows through the territory of Brazil. Most of the country is occupied by the largest equatorial forest in the world. Brazil borders on the Atlantic Ocean. Because of its huge territory and wealth of resources today, Brazil is among the fastest growing and promising economies of the 21st century.
4. China. China is the fourth largest country in the world and covers an area of 9,560,780 square kilometers. It is also the most populous nation on the planet. The majority of the population of China is concentrated in its southern and eastern parts. In China there is an amazingly diverse landscape. Tropical forests, arid deserts, impressive mountain ranges are part of the incredible natural heritage of China.
3. USA. The United States is the third largest country in the world with an area 9,629,091 square kilometers. It is also the most economically developed and powerful country on the planet. USA occupies large areas of North America. The country borders on 3 oceans – the Pacific, Atlantic and Arctic Ocean. Besides occupying huge territory, the United States is generally country with a quite favorable climate with the exception of Alaska. USA has the most diverse climate on the planet.
2. Canada. Canada is the second largest country in the world with an area of 9,970,610 square kilometers. Canada also borders on three oceans. The country is the largest in the western hemisphere and is known worldwide for its beautiful scenery. Here you can find some of the largest pine forests on the planet. Since Canada is a northern country with a harsh climate, the majority of the population lives along the southern border.
1. Russia. Russia occupies an area of 17,075,400 square kilometers. It is the largest country in the world. It covers large areas of Europe and Asia, extending from the Baltic Sea to the Pacific. To the north Russia borders on the freezing Arctic Ocean. On its vast territory Russia has inexhaustible natural resources, which are the basis of the powerful Russian economy. Here are the largest pine forests on the planet. Huge areas of the Russian Federation are almost uninhabited due to its harsh climatic conditions.