Every year when the long-awaited summer season approaches, millions of people begin to organize their summer holiday. This time is very important for everyone because for most people this is the only recreation opportunity and the only chance to diversify the otherwise dull and gray weekday routine. Unfortunately, they often fall into the trap of busy resorts, banal landmarks visited by millions of tourists and everything seems somehow too commercial.
Finally, we remain dissatisfied from our holiday and from the places that millions of people have seen before us.
How to avoid this trap? Quite simply – if you choose deliberately a less popular destination, where wildlife is still preserved, culture is exciting, but people are not still bored with huge crowds of visitors.
1. Montenegro is an excellent place to rest close to the Mediterranean, because here you can still find peace, tranquility and routes that are not yet too trampled by tourists. Located on the shores of the Adriatic Sea, this country is known for its beautiful beaches, outstanding coastal bays, mountains covered with lush greenery and Balkan spirit.
2. The islands of Korcula and Mljet are located in Croatia, on the Dalmatian coast that is famous for its picturesque landscapes. They are considered to be the greenest Mediterranean islands, while still quite unknown as a tourist destination. Crystal clear and transparent waters provide excellent conditions for perfect summer vacation.
3. Corsica is one of the few places in the Western Mediterranean, offering peace and seclusion. This unbelievable French island offers everything a tourist needs – superb Mediterranean cuisine, pristine white beaches, relaxed atmosphere and plenty of sunshine.
4. La Gomera is one of the least known Canary Islands. Lush rainforest and unique black beaches will make you feel like you‘re in heaven. La Gomera‘s environment is amazingly clean, the air carries aromas of forest and ocean, and its casual village atmosphere will predispose you to relax. La Gomera can rediscover your inner athlete. The biking and hiking conditions are just perfect.
5. Sardinia offers excellent opportunities for people who do not want to be surrounded by large resorts and ultra-modern high rising hotels. Furthermore, speaking about Sardinia should be noted that in Southern Europe is rare to see so many amazingly beautiful and non-crowded beaches.
6. Ithaki (Ithaca) is a small Greek island located amidst the waters of the Ionian Sea. Besides being the birthplace of the famous adventurer Odysseus, the island boasts an excellent spot for those who prefer to spend their summer vacation in a quiet place away from the hustle and bustle of the crowded Mediterranean resorts and noisy tourist islands. The island of Ithaki is covered with lush greenery and its small and lovely sheltered coves offer crystal clear and transparent sea water.
7. Corfu is a quite popular destination and therefore you will be surprised to find how many quiet and almost deserted places there are even at the height of summer. The island is beautiful not only because of its charming coastline with lovely bays and transparent waters, but also because of the mountainous and forested areas inside of the island. Corfu is a perfect place for long walks under the open sky.
8. Sicily is a big island that offers numerous opportunities to relax close to the sea without being surrounded by too many people. The peaceful southern atmosphere will enchant you, especially if you stay in one of the small towns along the southern coast of this sunny island. The beaches of Sicily are excellent and offer a lot of sun even outside the summer season.
9. Paphos is a resort town located in the western parts of the island of Cyprus. It offers excellent opportunities to relax without walking through the crowds of foreigners that are common view in most of the Mediterranean.
Of course, there may also be busy at the height of summer, but you will still be away from the busiest tourist routes in Europe. The city of Paphos offers excellent beaches and tempting Mediterranean cuisine. If you are planning to travel outside the main tourist season you have to know that the sun shines generously until the late autumn days.
10. Pelion is a picturesque region situated on the Aegean coast of Greece, not far from the city of Volos. Lush foliage reaches the coast that offers tempting white beaches. When you get tired from swimming and lying on the beach you can walk among the wildlife or just to eat a portion of fish with vegetables among the peaceful atmosphere of a small restaurant, enjoying the sounds of relaxing Greek music.